Last Meeting of Term Tomorrow!
Sorry this update is a day late. Hope you’re all getting through exam season happily! The Protect the Human club night at Stereo was a great success! We made nearly £600! Amazing! Thanks to Owen for doing such a brilliant job and to all of you who went along.
This week’s meeting
This week we’re in Committee Room 1 at 5pm, Tuesday in the QMU.
It’ll be our last meeting of the term so we’ll have a nice relaxed one! We’ll start getting some decorations prepared for the Secret Policeman’s Ball, talk about plans for next semester and have a bit of a feedback session about what you enjoyed this term, didn’t enjoy so much, or want to do more of!
- Same sex marriage consultation in Scotland: Action before the 9th Dec: The Scottish Government is currently seeking views on the introduction of religious ceremonies for civil partnerships, and the possible introduction of same sex marriage. Amnesty strongly supports the Scottish Government’s proposal which seeks to create a balanced relationship between same sex and mixed sex couples when it comes to civil partnerships and marriage. Our group is organising an awareness-raising event on campus. We’ll discuss it some more on Tuesday, but as ever the more people and the more ideas the merrier! Follow this link for more information about the consultation: http://www.amnesty.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=325. We started to plan this last week- but because some of us are really bogged down with work we’re looking for some one who isn’t to take the reins on this one- but we’ll discuss tomorrow!
- Christmas caroling: We’re caroling at 12pm on Sunday 11th and Monday 12th December, from 12pm for an hour or so, starting on Byres Rd then moving to town; hopefully raising lots of money! Come along whether you can sing or not- we’ll hit the pub afterwards!
-Write for Rights Day, Sat December 10th: The anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is Amnesty’s biggest letter writing date. Check out this link for more info http://www.amnesty.ca/writeathon/.
- Pub quiz with Mary’s Meals, Sun 15th January, Jim’s Bar, QMU, 7pm: A lovely way to spend a Sunday evening; a quiz with prizes worth competing for! This is a joint event with GU’s Mary’s Meals group: if you want to learn more about the charity, here’s the link to its website:http://www.marysmeals.org.uk/
We’ll need a group of volunteers to help arrange this closer to the time; let me know if you’re particularly interested in helping out.
- The Secret Policeman’s Ball is confirmed for Saturday 4th February in Qudos- very exciting! Billy Kirkwood is confirmed as our compere. The posters are almost designed so we’ll start on a massive PR drive soon. There’s masses to organise so we need everyone to get involved. This annual night of comedy has been more and more successful over the last couple of years, raising thousands of pounds for Amnesty, and we want to make this one the biggest yet!
- If you have any fundraising/campaigning ideas, please share them!
If you’ve not been to meetings so far, please come along- newcomers are always welcome. Our next meeting is on Tuesday, 5pm in Committee Room 1 in the QMU.
See you on Tuesday (tomorrow!) at the meeting!
Please join our Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/guamnesty/