Hello lovely people of GU Amnesty!
Hope you’ve all had a good weekend. We’re back in Qudos, 5pm on Tuesday in the QMU!
This week’s meeting:
This week we’ll finish the gorgeous cut-out letters we started last week for our End Stoning campaign:
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=12139 and plan our action on campus together. We’ll also focus some more on women’s rights around the world.
– The Big Fun Run: (http://www.bigfunrun.com/?glasgow&locations_id=61) on Saturday 29th October- THIS WEEKEND! We’re hoping that many of you will get your running/walking shoes on for this 5k event. It costs £12 to enter (paid to the organisers on the day) and we’ve set up a Just Giving page for sponsorship money: www.justgiving.com/Amnestyglasgowbigfunrun
– Weekend away: 4th-6th Nov, Isle of Arran. We’re going for two nights, arriving on the Friday to do our sponsored walk up Goat Fell on the Saturday, followed by dinner and wine! On Sunday, people can leave in the morning or afternoon, but I personally will be leaving in the afternoon to leave time to head to the chocolate shop and the Cheese Experience! Price wise, accommodation will be £25 for the two nights, and return transport will be around £18. It’ll be a great fundraiser and a brilliant way to get to know each other more. An easy way to donate or for people to sponsor you is through our Just Giving page: www.justgiving.com/Amnestyglasgowgoatfell.
– Hot-dog stand outside Cheesy Pop: This is a fundraising idea we’ve wanted to try for a while- selling hot dogs outside Cheesy Pop (the QMU’s Friday club night) as people are leaving at the end. Other societies have done this successfully and so we’re keen to give it a go, so will discuss it more in meetings.
– Protect the Human club night at Stereo, Thurs December 1st: Owen in the group is running a club night in aid of Amnesty- he spoke to us about it at last week’s meeting and is wanting volunteers to give up a couple of hours to PR the event around campus. It will be a great night- dancing in aid of Amnesty!
– Christmas caroling: We are determined to make this happen this year! Whether you can sing or not we’ll muddle through lots of carols in a public place and raise tons of money!
– The Secret Policeman’s Ball is confirmed for Saturday 4th February in Qudos- very exciting! Billy Kirkwood is confirmed as our compere and in the next couple of months we’ll get going on a big publicity drive- there’s lot’s to do! This annual night of comedy has been more and more successful over the last couple of years, raising thousands of pounds for Amnesty, and we want to make this one the biggest yet!
– Please tell us if you’re keen to organise something, or have a fundraising or campaigning idea.
If you’ve not been to meetings so far, please come along- newcomers are always welcome. Our next meeting is in QUDOS at 5pm in the QMU.
See you on Tuesday at the meeting!