Hope you all had a lovely weekend! It’s exam and essay time for all of us, but there’s no better way to spend an hour’s break from the library than at Amnesty!
This week’s meeting
This week we’re in Qudos at 5pm on Tuesday. We’ll be continuing the greetings card campaign- there will be Christmassy snacks and music!
We’re also making a “Love is a Human Right” banner to coincide with the campaigners who are planning action on marriage discrimination (see below), as well as starting to plan next year’s events before we all disappear for the Christmas hols.
– Reclaim the Night, TOMORROW: November is upon us again and once again this year, Rape Crisis is marking the 16 Days of Action for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. We have a group of people joining the Reclaim the Night march tomorrow (complete with Amnesty banner we made last week). We’re meeting outside the QMU at 6pm; please join us!
– Protect the Human club night at Stereo, Thurs December 1st: This Thursday! Look out for the fab posters, and bring yourself and friends along for a boogie. Check out the Facebook page for more info: http://www.facebook.com/events/188669591217860/.
– Same sex marriage consultation in Scotland: Action before the 9th Dec: The Scottish Government is currently seeking views on the introduction of religious ceremonies for civil partnerships, and the possible introduction of same sex marriage. Amnesty strongly supports the Scottish Government’s proposal which seeks to create a balanced relationship between same sex and mixed sex couples when it comes to civil partnerships and marriage. Our group is organising an awareness-raising event on campus. We’ll discuss it some more on Tuesday, but as ever the more people and the more ideas the merrier! Follow this link for more information about the consultation: http://www.amnesty.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=325
– Christmas caroling: The Amnesty choir is practising this Wednesday! More info to follow- but if you can’t make it, come along to sing anyway- whether you can sing or not! We’re planning on caroling at 12pm on Sunday 11th and Monday 12th December, from 12pm for an hour or so, starting on Byres Rd then moving to town; hopefully raising lots of money.
-Write for Rights Day, Sat December 10th: The anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is Amnesty’s biggest letter writing date. Check out this link for more info http://www.amnesty.ca/writeathon/. We’re still to confirm whether we’ll arrange anything for this with Glasgow’s Daytime Amnesty group.
– Pub quiz with Mary’s Meals, Sun 15th January, Jim’s Bar, QMU, 7pm: A lovely way to spend a Sunday evening; a quiz with prizes worth competing for! This is a joint event with GU’s Mary’s Meals group: if you want to learn more about the charity, here’s the link to its website: http://www.marysmeals.org.uk/
We’ll need a group of volunteers to help arrange this closer to the time; let me know if you’re particularly interested in helping out.
– The Secret Policeman’s Ball is confirmed for Saturday 4th February in Qudos- very exciting! Billy Kirkwood is confirmed as our compere. The posters are almost designed so we’ll start on a massive PR drive soon. There’s masses to organise so we need everyone to get involved. This annual night of comedy has been more and more successful over the last couple of years, raising thousands of pounds for Amnesty, and we want to make this one the biggest yet!
– If you have any fundraising/campaigning ideas, please share them!
If you’ve not been to meetings so far, please come along- newcomers are always welcome. Our next meeting is on Tuesday, 5pm in Qudos in the QMU.
See you on Tuesday at the meeting!
Please join our Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/guamnesty/